top of page
Mens 2nd XI Match Reports

14 March 2015      Bristol University C         4      Shepton Mallet A            2


The past few weeks has seen Sheptons output not match their point haul and on paper this looked to be walkover for Bristol University.


The first ten minutes were all about the university’s attack with a few shots going narrowly wide and two short corners well saved. However, the third corner of the game saw the uni side take the lead with a well worked routine that saw the ball slapped in at the near post. The hosts soon extended their lead with a quick break and a well finished close range shot.


When a lot of teams would have capitulated Shepton picked up their game across the pitch. Midfield duo Mike Squire and Tom Wood worked tiredly to exert their authority on the middle of the pitch. It was the former who found space to unleash a fiery shot at the Bristol keeper, although well saved he failed to clear the danger and it was the in from Brett Orrell who was first to pounce with a reverse stick hit into the top corner! With Bristol stunned Shepton added their second when on a counter attack Wood found Orrell who beat his man and flicked the ball on to the rushing Squire who in two touches brought the ball own and fired the ball past the rushing keeper.


With the game level Bristol picked up their game and the final 15 minutes saw the hosts throw everything at the Shepton goal. Centre backs Paul Townsend and Mat Herbert though were on top of most of the attacks and the odd time a forward got through Tom Ward was quick off his line to clear ball and player!


Half time saw Shepton determined to take something out of the game, however it appears Bristol had a similar game plan and pushed hard down the wings forcing Des Osborne and Andy Cambell- Orde to maintain concentration for a number of last ditch tackles. Bristol were enjoying the lion share of the ball and won a number of short corners, but drag flicks, straight strikes and deflections were all not enough to beat Ward in the Shepton goal.


Both teams started to commit players into attack and a ball fired out of defence by skipper James Weelen found Wood who had just one player to beat and Mark Nash and Brett Orrell either side, unfortunately the defender snatched the ball and Sheptons 3 on 1 disappeared.  From this wasted chance it wasn’t long until the uni side took the lead once again when a crash ball was picked up by a well-timed rushing forward who then beat the diving Ward and slotted the ball home with a diving reverse stick shot.


With 10 minutes to go Shepton went on the hunt for the next goal and a crash ball from Ambrose Hawks found Orrell on the flick spot who couldn’t find the gap this time and hit the rushing keeper. Shepton continued to work hard and throw men forward and with just seconds to go Bristol cleared the ball the their three high unmarked forwards who between them orchestrated the ball among each other and past the lone Ward.


Bristol’s 4th was the last hit of the game and Shepton will be frustrated not to have taken a point out of well played game.

Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: Tom Wood


Next week sees Shepton face Mid Somerset A at Bruton School for Girls (1500hrs start) with both teams knowing the winner avoids relegation. 


7 March 2015              Shepton Mallet A      1           Westbury & UB C    2


Going into this fixture both teams sat on a narrow ledge just above the drop zone, so taking points were a must. It therefore wont be surprising that this fixture saw both teams with a number of chances either being well saved or going narrowly wide.


Shepton started the stronger overwhelming the Westbury defence with a quick attack and were rewarded with a short corner. As has become a regular occurrence Brett Orrell stepped up with a low drag flick to give Shepton the lead.


With a one nil lead Shepton took their foot off the gas a little and Westbury started to enjoys some spells of possession of their own. Tim Clarke and James Wolff at the heart of the Shepton defence were a thron in the Westbury attackers side who were forced to shoot from wide angles. Westbury created a number of short corners which didn’t quite work and on the occasion the flick was sent towards goal a diving Tom Ward in the Shepton goal was more than equal.


Midway through the first half Westbury drew level with an attack round the back and a drop back for an easy slap into the exposed goal. Shepton heads dropped but they still continued to create chances of their own with a short corner forcing a fine keeper stick save. Mike Squire also went close with a well struck shot a close range.


It was Westbury who took the lead just before half time though with a ball drilled wide of the goal being tapped in by a quick thinking diving forward.


The second half saw Shepton down to 11 players with Laurence Heywood disappearing to a party! The second half was much the same as the first with both sides creating a number of chances but with the next goal evading both teams. Westbury seemed to lose their bottle in front of goal with a number of chances being drilled at the keeper and on the occasional one on one Ward was quick off the mark to take both ball and player!


Centre backs Wolff and Clarke both had Sheptons best chances of the half as they put the pressure on with the former hitting the post and the later having a reverse stick shot well saved. The final few minutes saw Westbury winger sin binned for too much back chat but Shepton couldn’t quite capitalise with chances flashing across the goal.


Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: Mike Squire


In truth the hosts played well but just didn’t take their chances. Next week Shepton travel to Bristol University knowing that they need to start picking up points.  


28 Feb    Mendip 7     Shepton Mallet A 1


After a solid win last week Shepton went into the derby encounter against second place Mendip confident of an upset. However in the mallet nerve centre when reaching for the turbo attack button they unfortunately missed and found the self-destruct one instead! 

The opening ten minutes were fairly even and it was Shepton who broke the deadlock when Brett Orrell found some space in the D for a soft flick at goal. Which the Mendip keepers confident was going wide only for it to nick the inside of the post and go in, there’s no points for power!


The midfield trio of Laurence Heywood, Tom Wood and Chris Reina looked to be operating well and Reina was unlucky not to double the lead after a mazy run. However, it was Mendip who scored next when a shot heading wide was unfortunately turned into the Shepton goal by one of their own players! Shepton though were not down hearted and Mike squire made a number of good runs and will rue a missed one on one. Once again though as Shepton’s chances went begging Mendip didn’t and a poor clearance allowed a shot to be unleased which was deliberately stopped by a Shepton foot, the subsequent flick was scored! Mendip then added their third just before half time when a Shepton backpass was missed the unmarked forward was free to roof the shot past the rushing keeper.


The second half saw Shepton keen to work for each other a little more but once again it was Mendip who grabbed the next goal from aa well worked deflected short corner routine. Cue a few déjá vu moments, the first being another penalty flick for another foot which was duly dispatched with and the second being that short corner routine again taking the score to 6-1. The game at this point had dropped from Shepton’s grasp but still battling were being hampered by a number of last ditch tackles just outside the D. In the dying minutes of the game Mendip grabbed their seventh with a crash ball and sharp finish on the back post.


Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: James Weelen


This certainly was not Shepton’s day giving away to many set pieces and shots on goal, they will hope that in a game of a number of errors and they have served their season quota! As they look forward to a relegation battle on Saturday vs Westbury and United Banks.


21 February    Shepton Mallet A 3    Robinsons C 1

Shepton Mallet this week picked themselves up after last weeks disappointing loss and continued to ensure the second half of the season was far more fruitful. The opening fifteen minutes saw Shepton edging out their opponents with Eliiot Wilson and Tom Wood working tirelessly to create a number of attacks. Inform forward Brett Orrell brought a fine diving from the Robinsons keeper after a mazy run. Any threat from Robinsons were quickly ended by centre backs Mike Spencer and James Wolff, it was the later who after a tackle found Wood on the half way line. Wood carried the ball unopposed into the opposition D and squared the ball to Mike Square to sweep into the goal.

The second half saw Shepton come close on another couple of occasions but also saw Robinsons best attack of the game when a cross into the D found two unmarked players and Tom Ward had to be on top form with a diving save to stop the first bottom corner strike and then diving again across the top corner to perform the double save.

The second half saw the game much more even with Wolff being given less time to pick his pass. Robinsons started to create a number of half chances and from one of these a poor Shepton Shepton clearance went straight to an unmarked winger who quickly reacted hammering the ball into the net.

At a goal apiece Shepton picked up their game and soon got the lead back through an Orrell bottom corner drag flick which seems to become a bit of a regular occurrence! Shepton attacks started to pour on their opposition with Tim Clarke giving the midfield the freedom to attack in numbers and Lloyd Howell created a number of chances from right wing. From this pressure it wasn’t long until Orrell wrapped up the goals after Andy Cambpell-Orde pinched the ball off the centre back drew the keeper and squared to Orrell to tap in.

Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: James Wolff

Shepton will be pleased with a solid win and in truth will feel as if there was far more goals in the game fro them. However the team look to carry this improving form next weekend against second place Mendip.


14 February    Bristol UWE B             4      Shepton Mallet A                3


This week a hopeful Shepton side travelled to UWE in a relegation battle with both sides keen to push for the vital 3 points. The first 10 minutes saw both teams fairy even with each teams making a number of half chances.  It was the visitors who scored first though from a well placed drag flick from Brett Orrell at a short corner.


This invigorated Shepton who pushed for more goals and Orrell was unlucky not to score an identical second this time finding the inside of the post though.  However from this missed chance it was UWE who grabbed the next goal when a crash ball into the D was deflected into the goal. Shepton continued to push for more goals and both Lloyd Manvil and Chris Reina saw chances fly across the UWE goal. However once again it was UWE who pinched a goal when an initial one on one was saved by keeper Tom Ward only for the follow up to be slotted home just out of reach of Michael Spencer diving across the face of the goal.


The second half saw Shepton determined to take all three points from the game and Brendan Weelen moved Reina into midfield in the hope of feeding the attack. Sheptons changes were rewarded when Orrell got his double once again from a drag flick at a short corner. Shepton continued pressing and soon grabbed their third and the lead when Reina found an unmarked Orrell who put through a pacey Mike Squire to run through the UWE defence and well rounded the keeper to get the vital goal. 


With the lead back intact UWE picked up their game and the match started to go against Shepton. Reina’s lingering kidney injury started to play up slowing him down drastically and then to make issues worse his stick was snapped in two pieces in a stick tackle! Sheptons issues were further compounded when Tom Wood saw yellow for hitting the ball away. Players down UWE carved a number of chances which saw Ward in the Shepton goal being called into action a number of times. However, another crash ball into the D was deflected into the net drawing the game. Once again the match and 3 points just slipped away when UWE won a short corner in the last 5 minutes although the first shot was well saved the follow up rocket was hammered into the top corner.


Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: Brett Orrell


Next week sees Shepton host Robinsons at Sunny Hill in search of some much needed points. 


31 January 2015         Shepton Mallet A            1            Weston-Super-Mare     2


For the second week running Shepton have found themselves frustratingly on the wrong end of very closely fought match and will rue some missed chances.


Much of the first half was all about Shepton’s attack, from the first whistle the team pushed high forcing a number of Weston errors. The opposition frustration with themselves was seemingly being aimed at the umpires with every decision going against them being argued. As the game at times became a little scrappy Shepton held their nerve and for much of the game were out classing their table topping opponents.


Shortly into the half Shepton thought they had earned the lead when a free hit was hammered into the D to Andy Cambell-Orde who with his back to goal on the turn smashed the ball into the top corner. Shepton’s celebrations were short lived though as after the Weston players appeal were upheld that the initial movement was not over 5 yards before the ball was played into the D.


Sheptons misfortune though was soon overcome when a goal scramble lead to a number of shots from Brett Orrell and Tom Wood lead to the ball popping out to midfielder Neil Billing who Smashed the ball into the goal. As the half wore on Shepton generated a number of further close chances and the majority of Weston attacks being thwarted by the in form James Wolff and Mike Spencer.

The second half saw Weston come out a little more organised and the momentum of the game started to shift with Weston enjoying more possession. The visitors started to create a number of chances but the in form Tom Ward was quickly off the mark to disposes the forwards should they shake off their markers. However midway through the half Weston equalised when a pinpoint ball found the forward who spun around his marker and unleased a reverse stick shot into the backboards.


A fired up Weston now started hunting for the win and the game opened up with chances falling at both ends. Weston soon won a number of short corers one of which was bravely taken on the knee by Spencer and the other slaps and flicks were easily parried away. However with five minutes to go Shepton lost the points when once again the same Weston forward unmarked received the ball on the flick spot for a first time reverse stick finish into the roof of the net.


Phillips Tyres of the Match: James Wolff


Next week Shepton travel to mid table Bristol and West hoping to break their two match duck of no points.


17 January  Shepton Mallet 2nd XI    4  Old Bristolians B              2


Shepton went into this came keen to build up on their short run of results with a home game against fellow relegation battlers Old Bristolians.


The game started evenly with both times working to exert their pressure on the opposition. It was the hosts who were first to grab a goal when the OBs defender flicked a ball high into Tom Doe who subsequently capitalised on the umpires advantage drilling the ball into the D where he unleashed a rocket in to the top corner. Just 10 minutes later Shepton added their second from a short corner when Brett Orrell flicked the ball once again in to the top corner.


This ignited the opposition who started to generate some attacks of their own, with most being thwarted by wing backs Paul Townsend and Des Osborn. OBs did halve the deficit just before the half when a well worked short corner was hammered home at close range.


The second half saw Shepton sit back at the start which played into OBs pressing style. The visitors started to gamble a little more and created some half chances which were easily dealt with. With the momentum their way though they drew level when a ball into the D found the unmarked forward whose first shot was parried away  by keeper Tom Ward only for the rebound to be smashed into the backboards. OBs continued their pressure with the hosts defence being tested a little to often. Ward was once again called into action with at a short corner with a fine diving stick save.


From the subsequent 16 yard Shepton drove down the wing and the cross to Orrell was passed into the goal to complete his brace. OBs threw even ore into the game which allowed Shepton in for their fourth when Orrell picked up the ball in the middle of the park he lofted the ball through to Mike Squire who swept the ball home to double the lead just before the final whistle.


Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: Paul Townsend



13 Dec          Shepton Mallet A 3            South Glos 3

With the festive period fast approaching and a number of regulars out, selection proved tricky this week with Saunders and Turner making their second team debuts, the latter returning after a lengthy absence from Hockey with Shepton; This however rarely showed and both fitted into the squad comfortably. On a pitch that was more of an ice rink at one end Shepton had to be alert and it quickly became apparent that South Glos tactics were to absorb pressure and counter attack very quickly. It was Shepton who opened the scoring when Charlton played a superb one-two to slip the ball on the reverse under the keeper. An attacking formation employed by Shepton meant that the forwards pressed relentlessly and were rewarded soon after with a second when an interception by Patterson and pinpoint pass found Nash at the far post to neatly tuck the ball away for his second of the season. With a high press Shepton always ran the risk of getting caught out and eventually a break down the flank and cross found a forward to thunder the ball in past the Slipping Shepton keeper Fauceglia. Shepton showed good resolve and restored their two goal cushion soon after when the prolific Orrell found some space at the top of the circle to calmly slot the ball through the keepers’ legs. The battle was well and truly on and South Glos hit back once again, this time benefitting from some slack tracking and allowing an easy tap-in when the ball was squared across goal. There was yet another sting in the tail when the home side drew level with a well-deserved and neatly dispatched penalty corner.

Shepton needed to ensure that they didn’t concede any again and Fry and Patterson sat back a little more in the second half. South Glos are in the top half of the table for a reason and they hustled for a winner in the closing third but Shepton held firm, keeping out several penalty corners with Charlton lightning quick off the mark and Fauceglia standing firm to ensure the home side remained frustrated. Shepton in truth created few opportunities in the second half but Squire, Manvil and Ward gave width, sprinted forward at times but the tricky conditions made it difficult and the finishing touch proved elusive in a well defended circle where space was at a premium.

Overall Shepton will be pleased to have secured a point against a well drilled team who have previously been a bit of a bogey side for the Mallet. We enter the new-year optimistic and hope that 2015 will bring some consistency in the squad. Shepton re-commence training on the 3rd January.

Phillips Tyres Man of the Match: Charlton

DoD: Fryer (various) but mainly for being Fryer 

6 Dec          Mid Soemrset A 2          Shepton Mallet A 5
Saturday was derby day in which Shepton travelled to their nearest rivals Mid Somerset. Shepton boasted a 15 man squad and with Chris Reina on the sideline playing role of coach the squad was confident ahead of the fixture.
From the start Shepton pressed high committing players forward and breaking up the Mid Somerset possession. It wasn’t long into the game when Shepton won their maiden short corner which Matt Herbert hammered onto the post for Mark Nash to deflect home. From the restart Shepton pressed high once again forcing Mids into errors which the visitors couldn’t quite capitalise on.
Midway through the half Mid Somerset broke into the Shepton D for the first time and even though the one on one situation was saved the forward was judged to have interfered with the attackers strike and a pentaly flick was awarded which was duly dispatched with.

Shepton though picked up their game and were again attacking with precise passing and speed with shots from Andy Butt and Luke Charlton going narrowly wide.
Mid Somerset soon had their second visit to the D which once again ended in a penalty flick being awarded when the ball across gaol was unfortunate to strike George Edge on the leg whilst sliding! Once again the flick was duly dispatched.
Shepton’s resolve never dipped though and again piled the pressure on, which paid off shortly before the half when Tom Wood found an unmarked Brett Orrell who pushed the ball into the gapping goal.
Half time saw both teams square at 2-2 and Shepton knowing they had more in the tank with 15 players available to run the opposition off the pitch. As the half started though Mids had a different idea and started the stronger pressing the Shepton defence with Mike Spencer, Herbert, Des Osbourne and Andy Campbell- Orde repelling most attacks. The hosts though started to win a number of shorts, one of which required Tom Ward in the Shepton goal into his first real save with an out stretched log to mop up the struck ball.

Shepton though absorbed the attack and bounced back when Herbert flicked the ball Orrell who slipped the ball to Mike Squire to smash the ball past the Mids keeper. This saw the hosts heads drop somewhat and Shepton soon added their 4th when Orrell picked up the ball on the 25, beat two defenders and pushed the ball home. With 10 minutes remaining Squire picked up his second when once again Orrell found him unmarked.
Phillips Tyre Man of the Match: Mat Herbert.
Shepton will be pleased with a good win and demonstrated the qualities of a side who should be far higher in the league. Next weeks sees Shepton travel to inconsistent South Gloucester looking to build upon Saturdays good form.

11 Oct            Shepton Mallet 2nd XI 4 Westbury & UB 3rd XI 1


Despite a less than pleasing start to the season with two consecutive defeats, Shepton made the most of an extra training session midweek to focus on some specific elements of their game. It has taken time for the new squad to gel and this matchup versus Westbury proved to be competitive from the outset with two differing styles of hockey. Looking to apply the press immediately Westbury set up high and made Shepton work hard to find any openings and it was an intercepted pass that led to the first opportunity of the game to force a quick double save from Shepton keeper Luigi Fauceglia to keep the scores level. Un-intimidated by this pressure Shepton began to quicken the pace and some good work in the middle from Josh Brooker and Tom Wood allowed forwards Brett Orrell and Mike Squire freedom to find space in the Westbury half. The opening goal came midway through the half, slightly against the run of play it has to be said, where Orrell was able to control a threaded pass and tuck the ball past the oncoming keeper with finesse. Encouraged by this breakthrough Shepton stepped up a gear and were able to string together a number of short corners, one of which was duly dispatched with a thumping shot, once again by Orrell. Determined to get back in the game Westbury forced a number of short corners of their own but some excellent defending by Neil Billing, Andy Campbell-Orde, Glen Treasure and George Edge ensured that Shepton’s lines were cleared. The final action of the half saw Orrell denied his third of the game where the umpires could not be certain that a deflected pass into the D had come off his stick.Shepton knew that it would be important to keep up the tempo and were awarded with their third of the match early on in the second half where an interception and quick break enabled the pacey winger Lloyd Manville to place his shot past the oncoming keeper. To the gathered crowds amazement and much to the dismay of Westbury, Shepton came up with a fourth goal and deserved hat-trick from Orrell who once again found space in the D to turn and shoot into the bottom corner. Westbury competed fiercely and piled on the pressure; they finally got a deserved goal given that several chances went begging in the first half when a breakdown from a side-line ball found it’s way through a crowd of players and deflected off a foot of a Shepton defender. This goal really gave Westbury more confidence and it was Fauceglia who was called into action once again to this time pull off a fine stick save from a goal-bound strike. The heavens opened in the closing minutes and this slowed the pace somewhat, Westbury continued to batter the defence with wave after wave of attacks. Shepton eventually settled and did their best to maintain possession; a hard fought match ended with Shepton pleased that they had come away from this test with all three points and were clinical in-front of goal. Next week sees them visit league leaders Weston Super Mare. Man of the Match: Luigi FaucegliaDoD: George Edge (nice pass)Shepton Mallet 2nd XI 4 Westbury & UB 3rd XI 1

Shepton Mallet A vs Torbay A

Shepton Mallet A 4
Torbay A 0

Shepton entered the first league match of the 2013/14 campaign looking forward to the new challenges of South West 1 having changed divisions due to league restructuring. Entertaining Torbay for the first time for many years Shepton got off to a good start ensuring that they pressed the opposition immediately. Shepton forwards Christie Callahan and George Edge ran amok in and around the D with James Weelen and Andy Campbell-Orde making some probing runs. The first goal of the game came midway through the half when a cross from Scott Beeching and prospective hit into the D by Brett Orrell was turned into the Torbay goal by a defender’s stick. Shepton deserved their lead and were soon two to the good in similar fashion but the goal was disallowed for an infringement. Shepton continued to stretch Torbay and some excellent passing moves allowed them to control the tempo of the game and dominate possession. 

The second half started rather slowly and it seemed that the home side took their foot off the gas a little, a defensive change meant that Shepton sat back a little too much and the pace of the game slowed somewhat. Torbay created a couple of half chances, one of which was prevented by a last-ditch tackle by Neil Billing and an expertly defended charge from defender Mike Spencer at the resulting penalty corner. Torbay’s resolute defence began to tire and gaps opened as they attempted to get back into the game; Shepton got their second of the game when Mark Nash got to the by-line to aim a pinpoint pass for Campbell-Orde to score from close range. Renewed confidence allowed Shepton to press once more and it was not long before Callahan managed to thread a pass through for Beeching to lash the ball home. Plenty of chances were created in the second half with Nash hitting the post from a tight angle and a couple of penalty corner opportunities that went begging. It was Billing however who secured the points late on after the busy Torbay keeper made a mistake gifting the ball to the midfielder who drove his shot hard and low at the near post. The man of the match was awarded to Mike Spencer for an excellent defensive display. DoD to Scott Beeching for being a ballerina. Shepton look forward to their first away trip to Ashmoor next weekend.

Shepton Mallet A vs West Wilts B


Shepton Mallet A 2

West Wilts B 0


Having narrowly missed out on victory last weekend Shepton aimed to give three junior protégés a step up and went into this final friendly looking to build on their solid performance. They started a little slowly as a couple of positional changes had to be enforced. Wilts relatively easily opened up the midfield and squandered a couple of early chances. Shepton got into their stride however and began to use both wings well with Andy Campbell-Orde and James Weelen making some probing runs. Luke Charlton began finding space in and around the D before going one-on-one with the Wilts keeper' who cluttered the Shepton forward whilst making a stop. Both players were duly substituted with the Wilts keeper' coming off worse. Shepton took advantage of the kicking back and went close when Mark Nash deflected a shot just wide. The opener came through some well worked passing as Weelen was able to find Tom Wood free to shoot and score.

Shepton went into half time deserving their lead but did little to create many clear chances. This very much changed in the second half, Wilts back to full strength, and Shepton pressing high to ensure that the ball spent large spells in the Wilts half. The hard working midfield pairing of Neil Billing and Tom Wood did well to thwart any loose passes whilst Darrel Chainey and Scott Beeching did well to close down any marauding attackers. The clincher came midway through the half when Weelen was once again able to get to the byline to cross for Billing to shoot and have his shot deflect and loop over the unfortunate keeper. 

A job well done from Shepton's point of view with some encouraging attacking play shown at times, they were unlucky not to have scored a few more had it not been for the post! Shepton begin their season next week with a home match against Torbay A.

bottom of page